Wednesday, June 18, 2008

On the subject of Soreness

"I haven't got time for the pain,
I haven't got room for the pain,
I haven't the need for the pain."
- Carly Simon

I am old. Okay, not that old, but I am old.

Softball season is finally underway after two straight rain outs. However, if it had rained tonight, I probably would feel much, much better right now.

As the pitcher, at 6-4 and 250 pounds, I am quite the sight in blue just 55 feet from the plate. To the men, it's a big guy pitching. To the women, it's I hope this guy doesn't hit me. For my team, I am the one that has to put the ball in play.

Tonight's game began unremarkably, with the opponents seemingly hitting at will. I was putting the ball in play. We came right back and scored more runs, but they came right back and scored some more, thanks in part to me messing up. We never were able to rally and lost.

Don't know the score. Don't care. Yes, I like to win. No, my heart isn't broken from losing.


Instead, I am sore. Will be sore tomorrow morning. Dumb ol' me forgot to stretch. On the mound, I do a stretch every time I pitch. For those who have ever seen fastpitch, I look like a slow pitch version of Jennie Finch, with the exception that she has talent, she has looks, she has a large endorsement contract, she has... well, hell, she's Jennie Finch!

So after this blog, it's time for a bath with soothing salts. I know, too much information. We have a hot tub - haven't plugged it in for years, so it's just a tub, and a television with an episode of Sliders.

I would watch Celebrity Circus, but the idea of watching people hurt themselves when I am sore, not gonna do it.

Good night, and now... Calgon, take me away.

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger
a/k/a not Jennie Finch



No comments: