Tuesday, June 17, 2008

On the subject of Keeping up

I have spent my day watching other people's work and it makes this six foot four person feel about three feet tall. There are some people doing some awesome, creative, innovative work out there and I want to do it too.

As a 45 year old television producer who has been in the business nearly half his life, I pray the business is not passing me by. I have kept up with what makes a good show, what tells a good story, what can make people feel an emotion. However, some of the editing and effects I see in today's work makes me wonder how people can think in such an outside of the cube way. 

You can't call it out of the box anymore. Cubes are 3D and that is the way of the video world in this era. And you can't watch on just one screen, you have to think of what to put on every conceivable medium from long boards to screens. I even saw an entire show projected onto a screen the size of an entire arena... and it was amazing.

There is a time when you realize you need some help, and I am going to reach out to some young minds and find some new vision that I can help guide, while they can help guide me. It's a win win situation but an honest one.

Let there be no doubt, I am good at what I do, and will continue to be so. However, to be better and strive for the best, a good team can beat a superstar any day... and it's time I start a team.

Good night remote, I have work to do.

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger

No comments: