Wednesday, June 11, 2008

On the subject of Belonging

We belong to the light, we belong to the thunder
We belong to the sound we're both living under
Whatever we deny or embrace, for worse or for better
We belong, we belong together.
   - Pat Benatar

More than anything in the world, the emotion I want to feel is that I belong somewhere. There are very few places where one can truly feel that way. 

One is at home, with a loving family - a state which I will never take for granted as I know there are so many broken homes where no one can feel that way.

Rarely do you find a place where you feel like you belong, but I have hope.

I met with the director of a local theatre group today about some new video projects. It is a place that I am volunteering some of my time as I believe in the programs they offer and the shows that they do. Our conversation covered many different topics, from my qualifications in the television business to hometowns to what makes a show work. However, one topic struck me quite strongly.

He said that when a newcomer to the company arrives, they are told that rehearsal time is from 7 to 10. When the rookie arrives, they are usually surprised that rehearsal ends at 9 PM. When they ask the obvious question, which is, "I thought rehearsal was three hours," the director smiles and says, "yes, it is, and follow us to the tavern up the street for the final hour." He told me that it creates a sense of family, and makes people want to be a part of it.

IMHO (love that txting term,) the key to any successful operation is building a team that believes in the leader as strong, yet approachable, and the company as a place where "they belong." This theatre group defines that statement.

I have been a part of many different companies, and the feeling of family is the difference between those places where I have wanted to be, and those that "worked for."

For seven years, I worked for a place most sports fans would give their right arm to work for. In that job, I got to go to NBA Finals, Baseball, NBA and NHL All Star Games, and just about any sporting event in the area that I would want to cover. I got to travel to a different college campus every single week. I had what could be called a dream job. 

About four years into my tenure, the place was bought out by a major network, and the decisions made by the people up the hall, now were made out of Los Angeles. The "family" died a slow and painful death, and just as achingly, people started losing their jobs courtesy of hatchet men brought in by the new management. All the cool assignments in the world wouldn't make it worth staying there.

Fast forward to the present, and one particular part of my job. I work with a major university and its sports teams. One team in particular, makes me feel like family. While they are one of the so-called "non-revenue" sports, with a smaller budget, I treat them very well because of one thing... they thank me. From the moment I walked into the coach's office for the first time to the season ending banquet, this group of athletes made me feel like I belonged, and for that, I would do just about anything.

When you feel like you belong, you want to be there, and you will go the extra mile.

Here's to walking many miles.

Good Night, Exit Stage Left.

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger.

No comments: