Friday, June 6, 2008

On the subject of being "Facebook Happy."

I am a chronic Googler. I know there is a pill you can take to help, or a 12 step program to enroll in to help this situation, but I can only control what I have control of.

I Google myself. I Google my television shows. I Google old friends. And when you search out your past, sometimes you open up the past to find you. Such was the case this morning when I found a short note from a dear friend from college. I had found her on business networking site, and took a shot in the dark with a message to her.

Sometimes you have to go beyond Google to find these old friends. You have to register for a LinkedIn or Classmates account, but it can be a great thing. In addition to hearing from my college friend, I heard from an old co-worker from my CNN days, as well as one of my former interns (who I have kept up with over the years.) Three reconnections in less than an hour. Wow.

It has been a blast catching up with the past, but sometime it can bite back at well. Exhibit A for this is one of my first Facebook "friends." This was one of those "friends" that Facebook finds for you - the people you may know. I recognized the name when I saw it. The picture was not as clear, so I wasn't sure. It turns out that she was a little sister in my fraternity.

This person is one that changes her status a lot. I like those kind of people as it kind of gives you a window into what they are living, and allows you to feel like you are in the virtual party room sharing a beverage with them.

I messaged her and said it was nice to see someone from college. I got a nice message back. She visited a frat brother in Chicago and mentioned that she was there on her status. Many of my friends here are from improv, and a group of them are performing this week in Chicago. Wanting to support them, and remembering that this person was someone who enjoyed the fun side of life, I sent her a message mentioning the Improv Festival and that if she was still in town - it might be fun.

The message back was a little loud and clear to me. "Take it easy on the Facebook. Too Facebook happy." Okay. I get it. This cyberspace world has rules, not written anywhere, but to be understood none the less. I think she believed that I was wanting a larger connection to her, but what I was thinking was that she might enjoy the work of some of my friends. Oh well, a little misunderstanding among "friends."

Too Facebook Happy. Okay, maybe the Facebook honeymoon is still going on, but for me, I am okay with being happy for a little while longer. I am not a pesterer... is that even a word? However, I do like to feel that I can make a positive feeling for folks by sending along a nice word, or helping out a friend, or just reaching out to say hello. For those of us who have a structured life of family and work, there is room for connection, especially since my day is usually void of it.

Getting a message or an e-mail from someone on a personal level can be an absolute highlight to my day. My inbox is filed with requests for me to do something for them - do a video - do a report - make a phone call - be a part of a meeting. It's the personal e-mails or messages that say I was thinking of you or something reminded me of you - those are the ones that I long for, and those are the ones I treasure. Call me selfish for liking to get something positive in the inbox.


So I am very happy to have connected with the past, promoted friendship for the present, and opened up possibilities for the future. If that makes me "Facebook happy," color me yellow and put draw a big smile on my face.

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger

No comments: