Saturday, June 28, 2008

On the subject of Accomplishment

Getting trophies is fun. I guess that is why parents now buy trophies for kids when they just participate in pee wee sports.
When you win a trophy, it is amazing. I have been blessed enough to win a few in my lifetime. The first one was very special. It was a service award at my high school. I received the only standing ovation in the ceremony, so you could imagine the feeling that rushed through me on that day. The award finished a distant second to the realization that I had made a real difference in the lives of my classmates, and that memory lives far longer than the display of the medal.

Today, I went to Alki Beach for a regional Powerlifting Competition to see a friend from improv class compete. It was her first try at putting her talents to the test. She was pretty amazing, as she came in first in both the bench press and the dead lift.

 
To be fair, she was first in a competition of one, as there were no other competitors in her age/weight class. When she got her trophy, she shrugged and said something like "first place - the only place." I told her that I believed that she did
 indeed win. The accomplishment of seeing her training pay off, setting personal goals and meeting them - that is winning... no matter how many entered.

So display those trophies with honor, and get ready to hang some more up there with them. You deserve it, and I am proud to have shared the moment with you and your friends.

Good night Adjil, the two time champion of the 12th Annual Bull Stewart Power Lifting Championships!

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger

1 comment: