Tuesday, June 3, 2008

On the subject of British Pop and a Station to Love

In the 80's, I was a DJ at a roller skating rink. Now that tells you a lot about me. I used to love all the dance music, and the power of hitting a great tune that would get all the kids up to skate and bounce and be happy.

Fast forward to 2008, and I have found something that makes me get up and dance and bounce and be happy. It's British pop music. So how did I find myself here? It started with a chance surfing of the internet.

Many at work listen to music on the internet, whether it is internet radio, or a familiar station from their town or their home town. It's about finding something that makes you feel good, or it's just background noise. For me, the search was to find something that would not distract me while working.

Back in 2006, I had gone through a lot of CD's, mostly Enya and Cirque du Soleil soundtracks, but I was falling asleep. 

My first forays into internet radio began with stations from overseas, usually in a foreign language. Listening to French, German or Swedish radio meant I didn't understand what was being said, so I wasn't distracted.

Then one day, after a search of European radio stations, I happened on Capital Radio in London. The music was wonderful, and so different. Yes, there was some crossover with American artists, but it was there that Amy Winehouse and I were introduced, then it was Mika, Robbie Williams, Kaiser Chiefs, Leona Lewis, Take That, and Kylie!

So much for being distracted... now it was about being happy!

The on air personalities are very pleasant as well. The first I heard was Lucio in afternoon drive, which was especially funny since it was early morning for me. In addition to all his star studded interviews, I learned from Lou Pepper about all the eyewitness travel news (it's O2 - see what you can do). (Travel news is traffic to us - but travel is so much more fun.) I heard about Lauries getting stuck (busses) and what the latest David Beckham news was.

At night (afternoon here) were Bam Bam and StreetBoy... two guys who make Howard Stern seem very lame. Their sketches kept me in stitches for days. My wife would hate me always talking about their latest practical joke. Sadly, those guys are gone (they didn't last long in the music driven format, ) but they were sure fun.

Plus, the Brits must have some rules about public service announcements. I know now that Curb Crawling is something you should not do. Wearing a Con-Domm (that's what the guy says) is a good thing. That if you don't pay the congestion charge, they will come after you. And most of all, women do not want to get a social/sexual disease.

Now, Capital has changed their lineup. My day starts with Greg Burns, the new afternoon presenter. Then Lucio comes on with a lot of star interviews and premiere coverage. I get the latest sports updates live from the big football games (Soccer to you and me.) The promos that feature former "Grease" host, Denise Van Outen (seen at right with morning partner Johnny Vaughn,) saying "Good Morning, London! just make me smile!

My favorite bit is "Flirty at 9:30" which is sometimes replayed later in the day. Basic premise is a person who has a secret crush on someone gets to ask them out. The catch is that the DJ will offer them money in lieu of the date before telling them who it is. When they find out, the funny begins. I have heard co-workers, long time friends, and even yes - same sex crushes, rise into new heights or crash violently. I wonder if they ever check back to see if anyone got married from "flirty."

On Fridays (my busiest day) they have two other great shows. Johnny Vaughn's (their morning show) Desert Island Disco, which features a current artist playing the songs they'd want stranded with them on a desert island. That's followed by Des Paul's Dance Anthems, which really makes me move through the end of my work day (sometimes goes on through Capital's MORNING show on Saturday.)

However, it's the music that keeps me jumping, and knowing about great artists before they come to the States is the most fun part. Now, people don't ask me about Amy Winehouse & Leona Lewis anymore, but they do ask about Mika and September and SugaBabes.

Here's a quick playlist. If you get a chance to give it a listen, it's at CapitalRadio.com.

Mika - Big Girl (you are beautiful) 
    - an awesome song with a great message.

Amy Winehouse - "You know I am no good"
   - see previous blog for more on me and Amy

Girls Aloud - "I can't speak French" 
    - okay - so it's commercial like the Spice Girls, but I love them.

Duffy - "You got me beggin you for Mercy" 
    - It gives me a 60's flashback.

Wiley - Wearin' my Rolex - a damn funny song

Scouting for Girls - "Heartbeat" - Their Elvis isn't dead song is great.

The Hoosiers - "Worried about Ray" 
     (is that who Amy Winehouse would rather be home with)

Alphabeat - "Fascination" 
    - reminds me of a great concert song every one would sing to.

Kylie Minogue - "Wow" 
    - that's a good word to describe her as well.

Sam Sparro - "Black & Gold" 
    - every time it comes on, I sing the Kristen Wiig "Goooollld" on it.

Of course, it's pretty tough to listen in the car, but that is where XM comes in... I'm Club U-POP, are you? 

Yours Truly,
Johnny Blogger

No comments: