Wednesday, June 25, 2008

On the subject of being Nine - Part 2

Day two started simply enough. We looked for a simple breakfast. Instead, it was the breakfast buffet. Eggs, fruit, cereal, bacon, sausages, these things that looked like flipped over eggs with stuff in ‘em. That should be enough. What’s this? French toast, 10 different kinds of sweet rolls, pancakes, two kinds of syrup? “I’ll take some of all of it,” he said grabbing a small plate instead of the large ones made for the large servings. I am not sure how much he ate, but the idea was bigger than his stomach.

First adventure on our adventure was a trip to Hollywood. Why not Disneyland or Universal? It’s a long story, but the real purpose of the trip was a pair of sporting events, and I wanted to make it as cool as possible.

Before the adventure could begin… the mother in me said we needed to put on our sunscreen. It was more than 90 outside, and we knew it would be a good idea. We were spraying away when a lady asked us where we got it. I told her it came from home. She looked a little sad and I said, here – use ours. She said it wasn’t for her, but for her two little ones. I said, spray away… we have plenty. She could not believe it and was very grateful. The best part of this chapter came as we strolled away, when my son grabbed my hand and simply stated, “Dad, that was nice.” Lesson taught, lesson learned.

Our first stop in the land of stars, or at least people with maps to the star’s homes, was Grauman’s Chinese Theater. Outside this landmark are seemingly dozens of wannabe actors in various costumes, all looking for money in exchange for a photo op. But through the eyes of nine… “there’s Superman… there’s Batman… there’s Jack Sparrow!”

Before I could say, um, be caref… there was Jack Sparrow handing my son a walking stick and making him part of his act. The street performer in his best Johnny Depp attempt (admittedly, he was pretty good) confided that it was his first day trying this. Gullible me believed him for a moment, but when he and my son could not get anyone to perform with him in the show, I actually think it might have been the case. He handed my son a balloon sword and said, “your Dad can give me money for it if he wants, but really, you could have it anyway. Come back in a few minutes and we can try again if you want. This is tougher than I thought.” Two photos later, I did give Jack a buck. The experience for the boy of nine was worth much more.

We entered the theater grounds, landscaped with the hand and footprints of Hollywood’s best known actors and actresses. “Who’s Jack Benny?” “Who’s this Clark Gabilliee?” The meaning was lost on him. Dad was excited. There was Groucho, Bob Hope, Van Heflin (Van Heflin?? – Another long story.)  We were looking for Arnold! Christopher Walken! No, no idea for him. We never found Arnold, but we did find a great photo op for us.

Attack of the street performers. Asian woman in some sort of pirate meets hooker outfit tells the nine year old to grab her sword. Quick picture just to get away from her, and then the explanation about everyone wanting money. He got the idea immediately, and just enjoyed the walk.

We saw stars alright… on the sidewalk. The new Dodgers star was there. “Hey Dad, we’re gonna see them tomorrow! Take a picture. Oh, Jackie Chan! Here, Dad, take a picture. Vince McMahon – he’s John Cena’s boss. You want a picture.”

Then we crossed the street to the land of tourist traps. We passed by the Ripley’s Museum, then the World Record Museum. Only 20 bucks gets you in. “Dad, I wanna go to Ripley’s!” My son loves all things Ripley’s. He has checked out every Ripley’s book from the school library.

At that moment, it struck me. This was not about me. This was about a boy of nine. He didn’t care about a tourist trap. He wanted to see the museum of his dreams (and my nightmares – I’m very squeamish) So in we went, and his eyes lit up. Can you roll your tongue? “Look, Dad! I can roll, Hey, it’s a dead guy! Look, this guy has a tree through his head! Cool! Take my picture.”

Frozen shadows. A cool light trick with glow in the dark walls and a flash. One simple trick, one great bonding moment for Dad and Son. We improvised a lot of different scenes on the wall. I wish I could take pictures to capture the moments frozen in time… however, the flash took away the shadow. The memory is still just as vivid though.

After the two headed sheep and five legged cow, there was a man hanging over an alligator. To see him clearly, one has to step on a platform. The trick was that the platform moved like it was breaking and the alligator moved forward. My son laughed in delight and just had to stay and watch the next three groups fall for the trick.

We looked over the last few exhibits, and it was done. The countenance of his face was more important than the accountant’s summation of expenses.

It was not about me. It was about a boy of nine.

We went back to Hollywood and Highland, and to the vista that allowed for a great view of the Hollywood sign. A Kodak moment for the two of us. Finally… something we could share, and it was very good.

Panic struck moments later. I had lost our parking ticket. We were at the booth and I could not find it. The family who had benefited from our sunscreen was there, and they insisted on paying for our 2 dollar parking. I still couldn’t find the ticket, but thanked them anyway. Turned out the lost ticket was 10 bucks… not a heartbreaking sum, made more tolerable by the kindness of others. “Dad, that was nice of them, and it’s okay you lost the ticket… people lose things. We’re okay,” Lesson taught, lesson learned.

Back to the hotel we went for a wonderful dip in the pool. Just what we needed, but we also needed to get ready to head south for our first sporting event – to see David Beckham and the Los Angeles Galaxy. We met a friend for dinner and caught up with him (he had given us the tickets and the inspiration for this adventure.) We had a little time before the game so, on the advice of our friend, went to a local sports store to get geared up.

Okay, I’ll admit, I went overboard here. My son and I outfitted ourselves in genuine David Beckham jerseys – not replicas. We paid for them, more than we needed to, but I wanted him to have the best. And I wanted one too. So there we were, father and son in matching Beckham jerseys.

The Home Depot Center was as beautiful a place as I have ever seen to hold a soccer field. Not a bad seat in the house, and everywhere you looked, pictures of Beckham, Landon Donovan, and Galaxy logos. Lots of photo ops, many taken.

The moment was at hand. David Beckham arrived for warm-ups. “There he is Dad! There’s David Beckham!”

For a man who was brought up that Football was the sport and soccer just a sport for people who didn’t play football, the moment was not lost on me. Here is the world’s most popular athlete, and here he was, making my son do a bit of hero worship.

The game began… fireworks exploded and within minutes, Becks to Donovan and a GOAL! You would have thought my son had won a million dollars.

The game ended in a 3-3 tie, when Becks just missed putting in the game winner in the final minute. It would have been a fairy tale ending for this game’s story. “That was the greatest game I have ever seen! Thanks, Dad!”

Following the game, we were invited (okay – helped to sneak in) to the post game VIP party where the boy of nine went searching for autographs. (Thanks Rogo!) He got a few, the highlight being Cobi Jones, former US National player and Galaxy star. The son asked, “Who’s he again?” So much for being a star.

The evening ended with a trip back to the hotel, with an attempt to find a beach, which got us lost. We backtracked and got back to the hotel where we pretty much were ready to call it a day. The son slept in his Beckham jersey.

No comments: