Saturday, June 7, 2008

On the subject of Great Expectations

At about 6:40 EDT, millions of people thought they were going to see history. What we saw was a bit of a mystery. Big Brown was expected to come in first... instead he comes in last.

At the track, tickets are ripped up. At homes across America, folks are kind of in shock. If there weren't such great expectations for a sure win, would it have meant less?
It seems our world is built on expectations rather than reality, and the world's people are bound by the results of those expectations. In business, we see stocks sink when the profits did not meet expectations. Hey, my company is happy when we make money. Some companies make millions and millions, yet if they did not meet expectations, their value goes down.

Tonight are the Emmy Awards for my region, and I am up for one. I fully expect not to win. My fellow Executive Producer and I have our money on some Idaho Outdoors show to take the trophy for Outstanding Sports Series. I don't have an acceptance speech written. As a matter of fact, I am not even going to the ceremony. The reason I am okay with any result is that I gave my best effort to make the show as good a show as I could, and know that everyone gave that same effort not for just the award entry, but for every show. We have won already. (If I do actually win I shall gloat with glee tomorrow and shout it on every one of my presences on the web!)


I am on my way to a show in a little theatre in Bellingham to see Ryan Stiles and Greg Proops for a pair of what I expect to be, really great shows. Oops, there are expectations. Will I be disappointed if they are not bell laughingly hilarious? No. I just want to be entertained and I know it is in my soul that every one does their best to achieve.


So in this world of Great Expectations, I am happy with what is reality. I, too many times, find myself nothing but disappointed when I expect great things to happen. When I just go into a situation with the mindset of what will be will be, then I can truly be happy when ti all works out.

Good night, and good luck.

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.