Monday, July 28, 2008

On the subject of Silence

If I was literal, this blog would be blank.

As I am wanting to write, there will be words here.

The time is rare that my office is quiet. After all, I make television for a living. On those days when I am not making videos of some kind, I am planning for others. On those days, I put on my Capital Radio out of London.

Right now, I am getting set to head home, and the media player has been quit. All I hear are the rumblings of the air conditioning and the tapping on the keyboard - a sound only interrupted (many times I might add) by the pause of me finding the backspace button to correct a typo from trying to type too fast.

Silence is rare for me as I said. I sleep with the radio on. The television is on most all the time I am home. So, it is the exception for me to hear nothing.

The times when I hear nothing the best are those when I am tired, when every sound, no matter how small, resonates in my head.

I know it's a strange thing to blog about, but turn everything off for a minute and realize how interesting that moment truly is.

Now, it is time for me to hop in my car and crank up the radio for the drive home, where I will no doubt hear at least one honk, the noise from the road, and the air conditioning blasting.

Maybe one more moment of silence.

Good night. Shhhhhh.

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger

No comments: