Thursday, July 31, 2008

On the subject of Hugs

"Daddy, I just wanna give you hug."

Welcome words to me, although when I hear them, I am usually translating it to "I want to stay up just a few seconds longer and this sounds like a good excuse."

I love hugs. I am one of those touchy-feeley guys. I am a hugger. It might not be politically correct, but I think it is a wonderful way to show affection.

While most people are logging on to hear about Karaoke from last night, I think the following will be a pleasant alternate look at the night.

Hugs received last night, with my own translations:

"Hey I have missed you." (this coming after I had to empty my hands of the plates I had.)
"How great is this?"
"Thanks for inviting me."
"It's not the same without you, happy to see you."
"Buddy!"
"Um, okay, how 'bout a hug - well now we're friends." 
"I only met you once, but I feel I know you well enough for a good hug."

After an amazing night of singing and dancing... my sweaty self still was a recipient of more hugs as people departed.

"This was nice, let's do it again sometime."
"Thanks for inviting me, and making me a part of a fun night."
"Grrrrrrrreat to see you."
Handshake - "I am just that kind of woman"
Right after - Handshake "I am still not sure about you yet."
"I don't want this evening to end."
"I feel like you are the big brother."
"Hope this one lasts till we meet again."

I know there was probably not a thought behind the hugs other than it was just a hug. However, I think you can speak volumes with how you hug... and I would rather remember them this way.

And I hope all of you that received hugs last night all received my message to you:
"I am so blessed to know you and appreciate you being a part of my life!"

The best hug was saved for long after the event, when I embraced my wife and thanked her for joining me on this special night. That translation was easy:
"I love you, but I still think you are a goofball."

Good night, Honey. I love you too.

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger

1 comment:

little ms. notetaker said...

Ha! I am the world's worst hugger, definitely prefer the high-five. Hoping what my hug told you was that you're the best--even if it was rigid and cold... seriously, world't worst hugger!

Such fun times last night... hope we can do it again soon!