Saturday, July 26, 2008

On the subject of Good Friends

There are Facebook friends. It's a town all unto itself. Through cyberspace, we share experiences and communicate.

Nothing, however, can beat the real thing, and today, I had a rare day full of friends. A rare day.

This morning, it was writing time with Steve. We are working on a screenplay that we have been toiling on for years. Okay, toiling is not a good word, although a toilet plays a major role in the story, but I digress. We always seem to have a wonderful time when we get together as we have similar senses of humor, and when we get on a roll, it's phenomenal. Today, we had Bob Barker doing a PSA for abused show dogs (but not abused in the way you'd wince at!)

For lunch, it was the guy with whom I coach basketball, Ken. While he is a Duck and I am a Husky, we get along remarkably well, and always have something to discuss other than Ducks and Huskies. His son Joe is a great athlete, and he plays on two teams with my son, Drew. Both Ken and Joe are ultracompetitive, but Ken knows when to tone it down around me. I, on the other hand, will act as his "good angel" when it comes to him getting upset on the field or on the court. We compliment each other - that's what good friends do.

Tonight, the family went to a game night hosted by our longest running couple friends, Willie and Jen. Talk about some good grubbin' and a fun time. We played a card game called Buy, which seems to be for those ultracompetitive types (maybe Ken should come along next time.) I spent most of the time letting others chime in and BUY, but actually won a couple of rounds, much to my pleasant surprise.

The countdown is on for the biggest gathering of my friends, both real life and Facebook, as well as those who are both, for the Karaoke Spectacular this Wednesday. I can't wait, and it's not because I want to sing. It's because I love being around friends.

Good night friends!

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger

No comments: