Thursday, July 3, 2008

On the subject of Life's Challenges

Sometimes, we have no idea how lucky we are.

In the past 24 hours, I have been floored by things I have read about people with whom I have shared a significant part of my life. In both cases, we have not kept in touch, merrily walking down our own paths, not seeing what challenges the others have faced, or are facing. Then, we take a glimpse onto their road and simply say, oh my God.

The first was an e-mail I received from a close friend from college. We had dated in my freshman year, but were always more friends, but very deep soultouching friends. A heart condition took her away from school and took her back home, so our friendship was lost to the battle of distance, but her place in my life remains.

Now to that e-mail. She shared details with me of her life since college, and while I will not public ally share her thoughts, I can say this. The courage to share true feelings with someone so many years later is truly a gift from above, especially when those words can be fraught with unknowing territory that could easily alienate even the closest of friends. Before I moved to Atlanta and expanded my circle of friends, the words I received last night would have made me run away, with a lack of knowledge and compassion sending me in that direction. Now, I believe her choices have made her even stronger and a better person.

One remarkable story she did share, and that I will share with you is one of a journey none of us would ever want to take, but one she feels is a lucky blessing. My friend drowned and died a couple of years ago.

Let that sit with you for a moment. She died.

For some reason that is known only to her, she was revived and lived on, but for those moments, she had passed, and was given a pass back. She shares with me now that everything, from even watching an ant on a blade of grass, is an adventure. She learned that life was not something that should ever be taken for granted, and passed on those words to me as I look at my life. Those words rank among the most powerful I have read in my lifetime.

One e-mail had me searching my soul, and exploring my own thoughts... incredible enough if it ended there.

Fast forward to this afternoon, I was surfing around the net, seeing if Tiffany Verzal, a former editor for my company, was going to be at a convention I am attending next week. I had given her an opportunity right out of college, and now, because of her great talent, is working at a University with her husband, making great videos and television.

Tiff had made the choice to leave her Seattle life behind and has not kept in touch. I was saddened by her choice, but people have a reason for moving on, and while I love to rekindle connections, some people want to cut and move on. There is no right or wrong about it... it's just personal choice.

Casually, I went to the school's website, where the athletic director blogs about his staff. My hopes were to see what my former colleague was up to, and if she and her husband were going to be at the conference - one they attend every year. They had missed last year's though, as Tiffany had just given birth to a beautiful daughter.

So off I went to the blog, expecting something that would be good and allow me to catch up with a friend. That is when I read the following...

The last month and a half have been quite a challenge for two of our 12th Man Productions staffers Brandon and Tiffany Verzal. Their 14-month old daughter Alexis is undergoing rehab related to a serious brain trauma. It's a heart wrenching story which has captured the heart of our entire Athletic Department family, and also touched people around the country who have read about Alexis on the internet.

The outpouring of support for the Verzal family continues. Our soccer coach G. Guerrieri is dedicating his foundation's fund raising efforts this year in support of Alexis' medical expenses. You can learn more about this special child on CoachG.com.

Floored. No other way to put it. Hours after being uplifted by a message of hope, the world seems to drop an anvil straight out of a Looney Tunes cartoon. Floored.

I will eventually write her a note, but realize she has a lot more to do than read e-mails from people she may or may not want to hear from. What I can do is try to spiritually give her some support from others. I urge you to click on the article above and read about their struggles, and if you can... put them in your thoughts and prayers.

Yes, we all face life's challenges. We can be empowered by their results. We can be devastated by them as well. If it were not for being lost in this cyberspace, I would have gleefully walked down my own path and not known either of these stories. Never have I been so privileged to have been lost.

Good night, baby Alexis... we're thinking about you!

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, if those two stories don't constitute a 'wake up call' to stop taking Life for granted, I don't know what is.

Thank you for sharing.