Thursday, May 28, 2009

On the subject of "Words"

This morning, one of my favorite movies was on. "Finding Forrester" is the story of a kid from the Bronx Ghetto that is given the opportunity, through fate and friendship, to work with a famous enigmatic author. Sean Connery played William Forrester, who was portrayed as the JD Salinger of the day. The basic scope of the movie was the value of words, and the difference they can make in people's lives.

I know there is the constant argument that "actions speak louder than words," but I also totally believe that words on their own can provide the foundation for so many things, be it inspiration, or motivation, or compassion.

One year ago today, I started typing words on a screen without a care for where they might go. I didn't know if they would fall on deaf ears. My first blog was about how I had started on Facebook and MySpace and how I was moving into the blogosphere. My inspiration came from the blogs of two close improv friends, who still have their blogs going today. 

Over the past year, I have tried to share parts of my life with you, in hopes that the lessons I have learned, and the chronicle of the journey I am taking, could possibly help someone through a tough day by their compassionate tone, their ability to make you laugh, or their ability to connect on a personal level with each and every one of you readers.

I do not pretend to be a poet. I do not pretend that my words are something important. They are just pieces of me that I want to share with you. One hundres thirty one pieces of my mind, my heart and a little bit o' soul.

So if you are new to the blog... I wanted to share some of my favorite entries with you in hopes that you might enjoy a little bit of my world, which could lead to your world being a little better.

The fourth entry "On the subject of going to Rehab" still ranks among my favorites. It was a journey in life taken through the lyrics of a song that I know was not written about me, for me, or really has anything to do with me. However, I seem to identify with it for a reason that is so "out there."

There are a lot of remembrances of my hero... my dad. The first was "On the subject of Lost and Found" which marked the two year anniversary of his passing. It's interesting as today, I received the final document from his estate, nearly three years after his passing. He is never far from my mind, and I hope in reading stories, he won't be far from yours.

This past year has brought along some incredible challenges for many of my friends... and the story of two of them are told in "On the subject of Life's Challenges." It tells the story of two friends and life changing challenges that brought courage and hope to both... and I think it will help you count your blessings as well.

I am a hugger, but have come to find there is a lot of meaning in hugs... or at least I think so in this entry from late July.

The earliest I ever wrote a blog was one Saturday morning so early, breakfast places weren't even open.

Many blog entries have been about self-realization and those moments you know that life will not be the same again. Then - there's a different me.

Last Thanksgiving, I wrote about what I was thankful for... and apparently it means even more now. Friends, real friends, were the subject of my thanks, and just a few weeks ago, my wife said nothing less than the fact she is thankful for my friends as well. The reason... they allow me to be be me. And that, my friends, is truly a blessing.

While I wrote 100 entries in 2008, I have only authored 31 in 2009. Many of the posts were inspired by those Facebook lists that everyone did for a while. 25 random facts, 48 questions were all part of the fad. They were also what led to me doing the mother of all Facebook lists.

When I clicked over to 300 friends on Facebook, it marked a wonderful time in my life, so I wanted to give thanks to the people that helped me get there... thus "300 friends, 300 stories." Never have I had so many people talk about the positive meaning of connections as I did from that post. I did a 400 version as well, but nothing was better than the original.

Life has become busy, but never too busy to try to inspire others. "Same Person, Different Life" told the stories of some of my long lost friends who I had reconnected with after many years, only to feel like I had found new friends.

The inner search for meaning in life allows for "refocusing" when life seems to be really stinking at the time. But when you have a realization that you believe may help others, it seems effortless to share it. "Into the Blue" was a blog about a dream, but I received so many notes that said the imagery helped them see a magical place in their lives.

And a little while later "People You May Know" did the same.

I realize this might feel like a "Greatest Hits" album and you all want some original material. I promise I will get to some in the very near future. There are lots of words stuck in my head, and many stories to tell. I will get to them this summer... including an incredible journey to Alaska.

Thank you all for being such wonderful readers. I hope my "words" have made a positive difference in your life.

As always, I am...

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger

No comments: