Saturday, May 9, 2009

On the subject of "Mother's Day"

I am being an awful husband this year for Mother's Day. I know it. I can't help that my soccer team scheduled their game against my son's former favorite team on Mother's Day. I can't help that one of my classes is scheduled for Mother's Day. I can't help that one of my rehearsals is sched.. um.. wait a minute. I scheduled that one.

I am an awful husband.

Of all the saluting holidays, I should understand the significance of Mother's Day. After all, I was a Mother's Day baby. However, that may explain it, as it seems that important things always seemed to be scheduled on Mother's Day.

Take for example, the day I was born. Yours truly came into this world at 6:05 AM on May the 12th, 46 years ago. On that day, my Dad rushed Mom into the hospital for what was an uneventful delivery of a boy who just happened to be a dividend of the first vacation my parents had alone since their honeymoon. In the interest of full disclosure, my sister was conceived on their honeymoon, 13 years earlier... so you can see where this is going.

Anyway, Dr. Roger O'Donnell saw my Dad after the delivery and told him that Mom would be spending the day resting. That came as great news to my Dad as he was to play for the Columbia Country Club Championship that day. He was leading the tournament.

He went to the club and promptly walked to the first tee and handed out cigars to this championship seeking group, and simply stated "my wife has just given birth to a 10 pound, 2 feet tall baby boy. Would you like to concede the game or play?" They played alright, and my Dad shot a 77 to win the championship.

Upon arriving back at the hospital that afternoon, my Dad walked into the room. Mom was holding me, and Dad was holding a silver goblet, the championship trophy. He looked at her accomplishment and looked at his and asked "So, what have you done today?" and tossed the silver goblet on Mom's bed.

(Note: When my Dad passed away, one of the few things I brought home with me was that trophy as its significance was not lost on me.)

So that is the basis for my Mother's Day celebrations, so you can see why I am a awful husband. Okay, to be clear, that is one of my Mom's favorite stories, so my Dad was not an awful husband. It was that they had a special understanding of who they were as a couple.

Ten years ago this weekend, I was preparing to welcome into the world my second child. There were lots of tears that weekend, and not all of joy. I had just flown back to Seattle after being in South Carolina for my Mom's funeral. My wife could not join me for the event as she was on bed rest, and I did not think it would be a good idea for her to even trying to take the trip.

My son was scheduled to be born on May 13th, but Gale, the wonderful wife that she is, was able to convince her doctor to move the scheduled c-section up one day... so that he would share his birthday with mine. I had no golf tournament to attend that day, so I was in the delivery room with her. Okay... that would have never happened.. the golf tournament, I mean.

About 6 weeks earlier, I had been on the phone with my Mom in what would turn out to be my last ever conversation with her. It was on that phone call that I told her that we had decided to name the baby Drew Spencer Horton, to which she responded, "that's wonderful dear, I have a whole bunch of towels and things with his initials on it."

Drew was named after my Mom, Drucie, and the initials were designed to match hers. We had no idea she would never have the opportunity to meet her grandson.

However, a few weeks ago, the towels were delivered to our house with many other items from my parent's house, along with a portrait of my Mother and a 300 pound solid marble sculpture of her, both of which now reside with great "regalness" in our dining room.

So here we are ten years later, and I am surrounded of memories of Mom, especially the fact that I live Mother's Day every day I look into my son's eyes.

While it is not fair to my bride, maybe it is a little appropriate that I am spending my Mother's Day the way I am, sharing the afternoon with the living spirit of my Mom, then doing my own thing.

Don't worry, I will find a way to make it up to my wife. The karaoke CD I bought her will make her giddy with song, and I am sure a week or so of Honey dos to boot!

Happy Mother's Day.

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger

No comments: