Sunday, August 3, 2008

On the subject of Happy Life

"Happy Wife, Happy Life" 
    - Tim Sullivan

My family was at a barbecue at a neighbor's house about a week ago. We were saying goodbye to some old neighbors who were making the moving trek from Seattle to Key West, which we figured was about the farthest anyone could move and stay in the continental US.

During a conversation between the couples, our about to move friend Tim and his wife Jean were talking about their weiner dogs. They got their dogs after meeting our dog, Bear. Tim and I have the same feeling about our dogs. They make our spouses happy, and so they are good pets. They drive me fricking nuts - one is barking to be let out as I type this. (By the way, I have a job title for my life at home - Doggie Doorman.) The dogs can be nice to have around, but they are more stress than pleasure to me.

Tim said when Jean said she'd love to have another dog, "you know what they say - Happy wife, happy life."

As hard as it is to admit, and keep my man card, it's true.

I say this as I am about to watch the finale of Design Star with my wife. 

I say this because I went to see Mamma Mia and Sex and the City as we went on "dates."

I say this as Saturday night television used to be Trading Spaces and What Not to Wear instead of College Football, Queer Eye instead of SportsCenter, HGTV instead of ESPN.

I say this as I go shopping with her.

You have to understand that I actually did enjoy all of the above, but it comes with the price of wanting to watch ESPN or a game, or some action movie. But tis true - happy wife, happy life.

She is leaving on a trip next week, so ESPN and Pro Wrestling will dominate the television once again, without a guilty moment. I can watch action movies to my heart's content. But when she returns, it will be time to adjust my viewing habits. I am not P-Whipped as many might believe. I just believe in what Tim said.

When my sweetheart is happy, my life is happy. When she laughs, it makes me feel wonderful. When she is having a trying time, we all have a trying time. I guess it comes down to the fact that we truly share one heart, and mine aches when hers hurts.

So as to that Man Card, I guess I will hold on to mine as long as they let me. Besides, I have survived driving a testosterone sucking Mini Van.

Good night, my love. Here's hoping for a happy day.

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger 

No comments: