Friday, August 8, 2008

On the subject of a Life Changing Moment

I watch and I am in awe, just as I was at the age of nine. 

It was almost 36 years ago that I was sitting in the Olympic Stadium in Munich, Germany for the Opening Ceremonies of the 1972 Summer Games.

For a boy of nine, there was no more beautiful or awe inspiring sight.

Watching the Opening Ceremonies of the Games of Beijing, I am overwhelmed with mixed emotions. I long for a return to the games, while I realize that the games are much different than those I attended. The competition back then was an amateur event, but with the programs of the USSR and East Germany, that could be argued.

It is a beautiful time when the world can come together, and I have to admit, the Chinese have done an amazing job with what has to go down as the most elaborate live show ever done anywhere. 

My goal is to go back to the games in 4 years in London. I am hoping that life can repeat some magic, and that I might be able to share that magic with my family. 

My trip to Munich shaped the rest of my life. My parents gave me an amazing independence. I saw what my future was to be - a life in sports and in television. A life changing moment.

So as I will watch for the next 16 days these Summer Games, I will remember what the idea of the world coming together under the umbrella of sport - and how amazing the concept truly is.

I pray for a peaceful games... and that somewhere, someone's life can be changed forever in the positive way, as mine was 36 years ago.

Good night, to the children of the world.

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger

No comments: