Saturday, August 23, 2008

On the subject of Different Directions

Discovering yourself is an interesting process. It is a process that never seems to cease. Resolution is never near.

When I started this blog a few months ago, I was trying to examine some of the issues in life as it regarded to what this thing called cyberspace had brought to it. 

The other day, I casually said over dinner that I was up to 191 Facebook friends. It was a remark that was just a passing thought. My better half saw it differently. She was wondering why I would have so many people I would associate with on line, and felt those "friends" were taking attention away from her. A couple of months ago, I might have agreed, but now - not so much.

Real life seems to be going in so many directions that time to spend with cyberfriends is actually the time that is at a premium. Blogging is another victim. One aims to write every day, but "regularly" begins to seem "enough."

When a new school year starts, my crazy time begins. There are so many preparations to be made for multiple projects that it never seems like I can ever catch up. Then, the first game arrives. The first show goes on the air. The first event is in the books, and it doesn't seem as bad.

So when there is any time for me to be me, I cherish every minute of it and want to make the most of it. I reserve the right to be happy whenever I can. So in the midst of all this craziness, I am fortunate that events involving my improv class have allowed me a great respite from the craziness of the day. While this class did not achieve the chemistry I had with my spring class, I have again grown close to this one, and will cherish the new people I have met. I am sure I will see some of them again. Some are moving on to new adventures in new parts of the country.

Again, the magic of the class is the fact that we all come from such different backgrounds, that we compliment each other. From loud (me) to the quiet, we all have our place, and our talents. Many, again, have become Facebook friends... part of that 191. I hope that means we can stay in touch.

At the same time, my wife returned from her cruise toAlaska. We spent a wonderful evening last night at a concert with Colin Hay, former lead singer of Men at Work. We expected a night of song. We received a night of total entertainment - part music, a lot of comedy, and even some interpretive dance and kazoo (courtesy of his wife Cecilia Noel). If you get the chance to see Hay in concert... GO! The nicest part of the evening though was seeing my wife smile through the whole thing. Time so rare, time so precious.

Which brings this full circle. Facebook friends add up as people you meet and want to have a connection. What that connection brings can differ as much as east and west. Some you will write to regularly. Some will just sit there. Some will never be thought of again. But if you feel, in the smallest way, that you have some kind of connection to each member of the group, you can consider yourself blessed. So I will be happy with what I have, and what I will have. For it is that kind of happiness that I need to have right now to compliment - not replace - the real life connections I have. Each has its place. Each has its value.

So if my words seem to travel in different directions for the next few weeks, please excuse the fact that my mind actually is in need of a GPS, or as one person so aptly put it - I've turned into Larry King - Houston HELLO! Thankfully, I know where I am, and where I want to be... taking all the directions that feel right and are chock-full of adventures - both new and familiar, thanks to friends - those who I sleep next to every night and those who linger in the processors of my laptop.

Good night to you all. (even though it's is extraordinarily early as I write this.)

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger


1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful blog.
You've summed up cyber-life perfectly.
As someone who has an inkling of what your career has in store for you starting... about... NOW, I hope you can still find time to post your thoughts, so we can keep up with you.