Thursday, October 2, 2008

On the subject of Flashbacks

One of my favorite aspects of being lost in cyberspace is the ability to go back in time without the use of a Flux Capacitor.

Facebook is the ultimate wayback machine. Through its portal I have walked back into high school, college and the past with usually wonderful results.

May I share some experiences? Of course I can, it's my blog and you're reading (laughing to myself as the dog sitting with me doesn't get the joke.)

I have discussed finding an old college classmate whom I dated for a while and learned about her courageous life after college. We have exchanged some e-mails since and try to stay in touch. It's nice because we were more friends than dates, and I feel like I found an old friend again.

A couple of weeks ago, another friend from both college and high school reappeared after more than 25 years. We both had the same interests throughout school, but ended up on very different paths. She's a mom that works with some religious organizations. It's amazing how many friends who are so defined by their religion. I understand it all, but never have been defined by it... but that's another blog for another time. I think it will be the one I write just after my treatise on politics.

Back to the blog already in progress...

Just last week, I received a friend request from a person that I had never heard of. I knew not of the name but the picture looked somewhat familiar. When the attached message mentioned her maiden name, I was a giddy high schooler all over again. It was one of my friends from our sister school.

Oh, to catch you up, I went to an all boys school with a graduating class of only 52 people. I took some classes at our sister school including Drama and Psychology, and had many friends who went there.

Back to the story. So here was the note and the request which I happily confirmed. I went on to her page and saw that she had not changed much at all since school, and that her daughter was the image of her - much like my son is just like me. We have exchanged messages back and forth, catching up on the friendship.

Whenever you go back to the past, you have great memories, but you don't know how they will be taken in the present. In one of my notes back to this old friend, I admitted that I had a crush on her back in those days. I was glad she took it as a compliment, and mentioned what I knew all along... that our friendship was what endured - and that is indeed the most important part.

Not every reunion has a storybook continuance. There are some of my new Facebook/old friends that I don't hear from at all. I enjoy seeing their status updates and seeing what they are up to. I have reached out to many of them, but I never want to be considered "too Facebook happy," so I let it go.

So if in this Google world you happen to track me down, or find me on Facebook, please, by all means ring me up... I love flashbacks and love to share the present day with people whom I enjoyed so much in the past.

Good night, friends who I had a crush on and those that I didn't. It's great to hear from all of you!

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow I was excited to read about your flashbacks Larry, not what I was expecting. I've had a few myself. They can freak you out a little.

Yours Truly, Johnny Blogger said...

Caller... do you have a question for Dr. Phil?
HOUSTON, HELLO!