Monday, September 29, 2008

On the subject of Moving

It's moving day!

No, I am not leaving my house, or even my office.

What is moving is my big computer. And it's finally here, on my desk. This desk used to be the business desk, where I met with clients. Now, it has gone back to the future.

When I first started in business for myself, I worked out of my house. Finally, when the dogs barking was too much (okay, so when I could afford it,) I moved to a cozy little office in the back room of another business. It was nice... actually had a nice view.

The coziness came from the fact that I had one desk with everything on it. My editing computer, my laptop where I did my writing, my printer, my very large video tape recorder (broadcast beta are much bigger than you'd imagine.) Everything was in one place and I had one place to work.

When I moved to my new office two years ago, I finally had the room to separate editing from business. I could meet with clients and look like I had an uncluttered desk. 

Across the room, I had a larger desk with all my editing equipment on it. It was like the work me was separated from the worker bee me.

TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES, PLEASE STAND BY: As I was writing this, I decided what I wanted was some music, so I logged into my internet radio and heard nothing. It seems like I had forgotten to plug in the speaker system. Moving does have its complications. Yes, that was it... and the first song out... I Kissed A Girl and I liked it.... thanks Katy Perry! Now, back to your blog already in progress.

Now, I have someone that works with me in the editing of projects, and he comes up to my office to do some of the high end work. Those times often happen on Thursday and Friday, my ultra busy days. So I would come to work and sit and wait for him to finish. Instead of working smarter I was working longer.

At the same time, my business manager (I sleep with her - nothing elicit, we're married) said that we have a capital budget for the first time ever. So we decided to get another edit system so there can be multiple projects going at the same time.

So it's back to the future, as I now have all my edit equipment back on my desk, while the new stuff goes on the old edit desk. 

Why don't I get the new one you ask? Because I want the most powerful computer to go the high end editing, and that is what I hire other people to do.

So here I am with lots of monitors on my desk again (four as of last count, make it 5 when I have the DV deck hooked up. Looks like Mission Control or a stock brokers desk.

And as a salute to that system, I am writing my first blog from the edit system as opposed to the laptop that usually is the vessel for my tomes.

Now, if I can just get used to the multi-coloured full size keyboard to type on. Ah, adjustments!

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger

No comments: