Tuesday, September 16, 2008

On the subject of Perspective

Wow.

That was my first reaction when I viewed all the financial news of the week.

Time was, when I was eight years old, that yours truly was a stock tycoon. I could tell you all about the Dow. Name a company, I could give you the stock symbol. The sports page was just the wrapper for the business page.

At least that was the story my Grandfather would tell me. He had a reason to push me in the financial world. He used to run it, as he was the Secretary of the Treasury.

I wonder what he would have made of all this hullabaloo called the recession or the correction or whatever it's called.

Truth was, I don't remember being that versed in the Market. I do remember walking by a stock broker and being interested in how the ticker worked. Who knows, maybe that was what got me into scoreboards, where my work lies now.

My grandfather also introduced me to college sports, taking me to Georgetown University basketball games and putting me right in the front row. The Hoyas were coached by a white guy named Jack McGee and the team was lily white as well. One year later, John Thompson arrived, and Georgetown became synonymous with college basketball excellence.

Poppa, as I called him, would take me to Redskins games as well.

Sadly, as I understood his relationship with my parents, and his role in my upbringing, I lost a little respect for him. Now that time has passed, I can put it in a little perspective.

While he was trying to curry favor with me by spoiling me, making life hard on my folks at the same time. After all, how could they compete when he was giving me everything, and they were trying to raise me with reason and perspective?

While I was trying to get into college, he had paved the way for me to enter not only the school I really wanted to go to (Missouri) but also Princeton, Vanderbilt and Georgetown. I applied without his knowledge to SMU, and was accepted there. He was furious. The biggest thing he could have "given me" I would not accept.

It was at that point that being spoiled took a back seat to making life for myself... and a new path was started.

So as I look back not in anger, but appreciation, I guess he was doing what he thought was right. He was making decisions on my economy, and my futures, not that I was asking him to.

Whatever the case, he taught me perspective by the two different ways I could think of his actions, and for that reason, I can see things from multiple viewpoints.

So, thanks Poppa. You thought you gave me many gifts to make me love you, instead you gave me the one gift you didn't expect to give - a reason to see the big picture when only the small one seems clear.

And today, we all can use a little big picture thinking. As my Dad always told me, respond - don't react.

Good Night, Poppa

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger

PS - I made a celebrity blog!!!

1 comment:

little ms. notetaker said...

Craig Johnson?! You made a celebrity blog?! Apparently, you are a celebrity!