Tuesday, September 9, 2008

On the subject of the Shell Answer Man

Exhale.

It felt wonderful today.

Last night... not so much. There is nothing fun about being around a testy person who has had a bad day. That person was me.

What could have put me in that terrible place? Call me the Shell Answer Man.

At work, there is a huge project that has taken over two years to complete, and we were to be in the final stages of it by now. Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control, it has been delayed more times than the Boeing Dreamliner.

Yesterday, we had a meeting to get the final touches put on the project with some experts who are needed to finish it. A one hour meeting turned into a four and a half hour marathon of questions and expectations of yours truly. I turned into the Answer Man. I was the man that had to answer most of the questions, whether I knew the answer or not.

Thankfully I am Dr. Google and can get most of those answers.

Following the meeting, another client called on another project which led to more questions. "Do you speak Spanish," the client asked.

Earlier in the day, as the Shell Answer Man, I had prepared a research document on a television show that happens to be in Spanish, and sent over many video links with examples of the show. I told him all about the show and its format, details on the hosts and when he could see the show in his area - call me a human TV Guide. He was kind of blown away by the fact I knew so much about this show. The reason - it's a Spanish language show and I DON'T SPEAK SPANISH!

So how would I know about that? I watch things for the look sometimes. I love seeing international television or looking at European graphic design books. The Taschen book series is one of my favorites as it presents a different perspective than the same old American one. In turn, I try to give my clients a different kind of design in my shows.

One reason I have earned the reputation as the Shell Answer Man is that I seem to know everything there is to know about the most mundane topics. I tend to get things like Call Letters and TV Program schedules locked in my brain. If I could remove all the 80's lyrics that are stuck in my head, I would have room for something useful.

In addition, one friend accurately stated that I read less of more newspapers than anyone he knew. It comes from having a short attention span, and looking over the papers for just the information I need, and things that grab me. Sitting down for a hearty read is not my style.

So being the Shell Answer Man is a burden I have to bear, whether I want to or not.

And why do I call it the "Shell Answer Man?" That used to be the advertising campaign that the Shell Oil company used to use in the 1970's, and I for some reason can't say Answer Man without giving the attribution to Shell.

So if I am the Shell Answer Man, then who do I know that is the Question Man? Easy! My nine year old son!

Good night... to all the conundrums yet to be solved!

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger.

No comments: