Sunday, September 14, 2008

On the subject of Nuts

Sometimes you feel like a nut... sometimes you don't.

For the record, I never liked Mounds or Almond Joy.

In an attempt to recover from a really stressful day yesterday, I decided that Costco would be a nice respite. Usually, Costco on a Sunday is something I would avoid like the plague. I call it the Costco Circus.

Today, the stars seemed to align for a fun visit. First of all, it was just my honey and me with no kids. Secondly, the Seahawks were playing, so the Circus was less crowded. Finally, randomness was the order of the day.

I found one gentleman that will be the inspiration for an improv character for the future. Tall man with a long drawn out face that seemed stuck in a mix of a frown and unbelievable gas. It was the kind of character that Asaf Ronen, my favorite physical improviser, would have a field day with.

Costco employees always seem to be in a good mood, and with my teasing of some of them, the mood was even better. I had one woman comvinced that she needed to guard our cart. I smiled and talked at the demo ladies, some of whom looked like it had been a long day. One short woman couldn't for the life of her, extract the jumbo block of cheese from the upper shelf of the refrigerator. Being tall, I happily was there to lend a hand.

The highlight of the day was Blue Jeans bingo. In the pile of every size blue jean imaginable, there was a crowd of 8 people all looking for different sizes. I said with all the numbers, it was like playing bingo. So, we all exchanged sizes and looked for each other. BINGO! I found a pair of 32x30's. Next, I found my own 40x32's BINGO! We all laughed.

My 40x32's are now officially my fat jeans. I have been wearing 42x32's but now fit into 38x32's. However, for lazy days, I'd rather have big ones.

As for the nuts... my honey and I engaged in a game seen on "Best in Show. " Christopher Guest's backwoods character could name every nut there is... so whenever we saw a product with nuts, my wife and I would start. Pine nut. Pistacio Nut. Macademia Nut. Walnut.

Then I heard "you're a nut," to which I gleefully replied, "yes, and you're married to it!"

Somedays, it's fun to be nuts.

Good night, fellow Mixed Nuts!

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger

PS: Ironically enough, I cannot eat mixed nuts, as I am actually allergic to some nuts like Brazil Nuts.

No comments: