Sunday, October 12, 2008

On the subject of Inspirational Faces

To see the face of a woman... one that will not allow you to turn away for even just a moment. Every move she makes, every smile, every wink, there is no opportunity to blink, no time to rest, there is just admiration and awe.

On the celebration of my 14th anniversary, I will admit, there was a woman who distracted me to this very point.

Now before you start sending me nasty comments about my perverted self, or how I have crushes on people other than my wife, or how I am just one of those guys, you must gaze into the eyes of this woman.



All hail the queen.

Her name in actuality is Krissie Illing, and she is the star of the latest (and soon to wrap up) incarnation of Teatro Zinzanni, a show that can be described as part circus, part dinner, all amazing. 

For four hours, my wife and I were transported into a world of Love, Chaos and Dinner where the movements of faces and bodies mesmerized us. The words of over the top actors sent us to a universe far far away from the one in which we live. It was the perfect tonic, without the gin.

In the midst of an array of incredible acts that included aerialists, contortionists, jugglers and strong men (and women), there were the stars who took our breath away (and in one case - someone's breasts away). 

The Queen, as played by Illing, is a very smartly played dizzy wonder. At one point in the performance, she is preparing for a date with her true love. Alone on the stage, she is sitting in an outfit very much not fitting her role as her majesty. She makes this costume her own aura and proceeds in a 10 minute wonderment of facial expressions, aquatic convulsions (the spit take to end all spit takes), and uncomfortable twitching the likes of which I had never seen. 

The amazing point on this performance is she said nary a word. Her movements spoke volumes. Her eyes did the talking. Her body wrote the story. It was the performance of my dreams.

My dream, is to be able to make people laugh in an improvisational performance, saying it all without saying anything. 

The irony of this on my anniversary night was not lost on me. My wife was amazed by the performance as well, as she was for those of Manchester, Peter and the strange waiters who had a uniquely German touch. This appreciation coming from the woman who told me only days before "I really don't get your thing with improv." This coming from a woman who seemingly had lost her smile. 

On this night, she smiled broadly, laughed hysterically, and danced divinely. Our world had transformed for a while into one where the kid's problems were non-existent, our stress was invisible, and our love stronger than ever, all because of a queen, a queen, and the court jesters who ruled our evening. For one magical night, our worlds collided in just the right way, and it was amazing.

Yes, at the end of the night, there was one set of eyes I was thinking about. One wonderful woman who I am lucky to spend my time with. My honey and I were happy... together... and that is what makes it worth while.

So thanks to all who helped us get lost, and in the process, find each other. Do we adore them? "WE DO!"

Thanks to you all, and to my honey, thanks for 14 wonderful years of life's greatest adventure.

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger

No comments: