Sunday, October 5, 2008

On the subject of Blowing Up

It should probably be said that people should read the next post then come back to this one.

Okay, welcome back.

It has been one of those days, and then, I come home after a pretty dismal day at work. I don't sit down. There's laundry that needs to be done, and there are dishes piled up in the sink.

Feeling irritable, I began thinking that maybe I was just hungry. So, I sit down to have a snack and open up the newspaper to the A&E Section.

Each Sunday. the Seattle Times publishes a Rant and Rave Section. I enjoy reading it to see some of the nice things people do. The rants I usually understand, but sometimes wonder why they felt a need to publish.

THEN, I FOUND OUT I WAS THE SUBJECT OF ONE OF THE RANTS. The request by one of my clients keeps me from sharing what the subject was, but needless to say, it was something trivial beyond belief. I can say this. Someone who works for me made a typo, and someone decided it was harmful enough to take the time to write the newspaper. In doing so, this person questioned my/my employee's ability to do their job.

I can start my own rant here, and I will. I am so sick and tired of people who are so perfect that they expect the rest of the world to be as perfect as they appear to be. They judge people's abilities by the mistakes they made, or overlooked. They do this not realizing the scope of work that is invested into everything that is done in the big picture.

Are the people who write this perfect in everything that they do at work?

Are the people who post anonymously in the paper, or on internet message boards, so courageous that they can slam someone else while hiding behind a keyboard? And by the way, I don't hide behind that keyboard, my name is on the masthead!

I am sick of anyone who has to judge someone on a small mistake in the realm of a much larger picture. Was the mistake made? Yes. Was it about 1/1000th of the entire body of work that takes about 40 hours of work to do? YES!

I loved the rant and rave column because it shows the best in people when it salutes the good deeds they do. I have done some things that I honestly believe would be the subject of the raves. I have been the victim of some of the acts that were like the subject of rants. However, to be called out for a simple mistake on a keyboard - give me a fricking break.

There are parts of me that want to send this entire entry to the rant and rave section as a reply to the judge, jury and grammar executioner. Instead, I am just sharing it with you folks who know me better.

It's just a bad day that got worse, and I felt a need to share it.

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger

No comments: