Friday, April 3, 2009

On the subject of Closing Windows

I huge part of my life came to an end yesterday. I was told "it's not official" but it was an official sounding phone call. The television show I have been producing for 8 years has been canceled. To be more accurate, the current Emmy Award winning Outstanding Sports Series, ratings leading sports show is ending without even a goodbye. As a matter of fact we ended the last show with a message to the viewers saying "See you September 5th."

So I guess it's time to retire the jackets, throw away the hats, make the shirts into work shirts. And so it goes.

I got the call in the last moments of vacation, putting a sour end to an otherwise wonderful week.

Returning home, I instantly went into "get work" mode with some e-mails, phone calls and two meetings scheduled for today.

My Dad wrote in his book about when a window closes, a door opens. That might have happened with those meetings, scheduled before I left for Long Beach.

The first was with one of my main client who is working with a high level advertising agency. We talked over the ad campaign and they asked me to produce it. What a wonderful opportunity, and one that might lead to others down the line. I have wanted to get into advertising more as my career has proceeded, and now I might get the chance.

The second one was with a sports team here in town to become the team's official production company. I thought it went well, and will learn more next week.

So after a large step back, I am already moving forward, and hope that the new avenues on which to travel become the first leg of a new journey. Cue the door opening.

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger

No comments: