Sunday, April 26, 2009

On the subject of "Becoming a Fan"

They are trying to get traffic number up. I get it. But, why is Facebook trying to get people to be fans of the most inane things.

Sleep. Yes I like it.

Seattle. Seems like you have two choices here. 44 thousand are fans of Seattle's government page. As Seth and Amy say "Really?!?!" How is the government pages image that pops up a Sonics logo. "Really!?!?!" 35 thousand are fans of the travel page. I don't have to travel to Seattle.

How about NOT being a fan. I am NOT a fan of Seattle Traffic.

Staying in Bed. See Sleep. Seems this little number was founded on New Year's Day of this year, probably from someone who was out all night on New Year's Eve. This "non-profit's" mission -Rollover, snooze, adjust pillow, repeat.

Where did this idea come from? I can understand showing your undying love for things that you truly like, such as In and Out Burgers. But Los Angeles?

Pages that promote a product make perfect sense. States of being on the other hand... um... do they want you to sleep more? Where are the things that ask you to be a fan of the following? I think I will search some I think should be there...

Being Nice. I would be a fan of being nice. It seems like being nice has a fanbase of a mere 228 people, none of whom have anything to say as the wall and info are totally empty, as I would believe their capacity to actually be nice might be the same. I guess I wasn't being very nice there.

Love. It's what the world needs now, is love sweet love. It's the only thing that there's just to little of. The funny thing is when you type in love, the first thing that appears for me is the "Pass a Drink" application. Nothing says love like sending her a shot!

Good driving
. How many bad drivers are there on the road, so I want to support the good ones. I guess I am in rare company. Please meet Mr. Chris Williams from Crewe, United Kingdom. He apparently is the only fan of good driving in the world. Oh, now I see. He's a driving instructor. At least his car is air conditioned. Nothing says good driving like an air conditioned car!

Laughing. If we all laughed more, our world could loosen up from the stressed out place in which we currently reside. Well apparently 1,700,690 people already beat me to this one. Okay, I will become a fan. And instantly, the number is up to 1,770,985. I guess we all laughed at the same time.

Twitter. Oh, I guess I am already a fan, however I have to declare my love in less than 140 characters. There are 45 thousand fans, but no posts. An interesting side note is that the Twitter edited picture that shows up only shows "it" which is appropriate since Twitter is the it application these days.

The 80s. What decade should get more fans than the 80's except that most people on Facebook were barely born then and think of this decade as we did the 50's or 60's. Hey now, I can become a fan of this "other business" with 18,850 people. How is it an "other business" though? Credit to the folks who put this one together because it has some great flashback photos and such.

Blue Shoes. Isn't everyone? Oh wait, that's just me. Actually there is a blue shoes fan club, but it seems to be for a high school team.

Blogging. Oh I guess I can become a fan, but there are only 18 right now.

So, show your love for something and become a fan... and I am waiting to see who sets up the fanpage for "Jon's 45 and Lost in Cyberspace." I might even join that one.

Have a great week. Show some love. Be Nice. Laugh. Be a good driver. Live in the 80's for a moment. Blog a little and compliment someone on their blue shoes. That is if you can find one other person with blue shoes!

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger

1 comment:

Mike Bawden said...

Heh. Great post, Jon! I'll be a fan of yours and we can stay "Lost In (Cyber)Space" together.

But I get to say "Danger, Danger, Will Robinson ..." okay?

Keep up the great blogging.

Mike