Friday, March 27, 2009

On the subject of Beaches

No, I am not starting with a Bette Midler lyric.

You might have noticed that many of my title pictures on this blog have me on the beach. Reason is simple... it is my favorite place in the world!

This weekend, I am going to get away for a while to the beach. It will be my first trip to this particular beach, which is Long Beach in southern Washington.

I spent many a summer on the beaches of the east coast. In my younger years, hours upon hours were spent in Bethany Beach, Delaware. We lived right on the boardwalk in a complex called Ocean House. I wish I could recapture the sound of the waves through the open window in my bedroom or better yet, the sounds of summer off the front porch.

Mornings would be for body surfing on the waves and just playing in the sand.

Afternoons would be spent playing baseball on a sandlot next to the townhouses. We'd buy flour and make lines for the field and we'd play until Mom called us in for dinner.

Evenings were almost always spent walking down the boardwalk to "downtown" where we would get ice cream or licorice at Sherry's Sweet Shoppe. Then it was off to see Mr. Fisk at the miniature golf course.

That was the life.

Later years were spent on the beach at Seabrook Island, but there, it was more like spending time at the beachside pool. I didn't really go on the beach a lot when I lived there, but it always seemed like I was "on the beach."

When I went back to visit my parents there after moving away, my appreciation for the beach grew. And as my Mom and Dad both passed, it was this beach that gave me my "place."

Those were the wavy beaches of the Atlantic. The Pacific always seems to be rocky, expecially up here in Washington. I understand that Long Beach is more like the Atlantic beaches... so I am looking forward to it.

The sound... the feel... the peace. Yes. I am definitely looking forward to the beach.

See you soon.

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger

No comments: