Saturday, November 22, 2008

On the subject of Dot Dot Dot

Houston Hello! It's time for another edition of the blog brought to you in full Larry King vision.

I saw a friend yesterday who said the blogs were turning whiny... Yikes! It has been a stressful few weeks but I did not hear the sound of the whine, or thankfully wine....

What is it about wine? I have never understood the taste of it... Many would say I have no taste at all...

Now that the elections are over, people are back to discussing nothing at all... has anyone figured out that if we, as a country, stop talking about ourselves for long enough and actually do something, that we might just accomplish something...

And about the economy... why can't I find a parking place at the local shopping mall? I thought people were not shopping. And what's more, why is it that if no one is spending money, that my family had to go eat fast food after being told at three different restaurants that there was a one hour wait?

I filled up my car for less than 40 bucks for the first time in years yesterday... and it felt so good, I actually called home about it...

Without expecting it, I received a gift card for a local eatery/bakery for helping out my son's soccer team. So when my wife and I went out to lunch at this place, dumb old me pulled out a 20 and paid for the lunch forgetting the card. When we sat down for lunch, there was an elderly couple right across from us, enjoying a day out at the mall. I made eye contact with the lady and received the nicest smile. A little later, her husband shuffled off to the counter to look for some dessert. I told my wife I would be right back and went over to the husband. I asked him if he was buying dessert for his "date." He chuckled and said why yes. So I pulled out the gift card from my pocket and said "this one's on me."
I returned to finish my lunch and the husband brought a fancy carrot bread muffin back to her. He had the kindest look with a hint of happiness when he presented the muffin to his bride. It was so sweet.
As we were leaving, the husband was telling his wife what had happened. She looked up at me and said "you did this?' I replied, "yes I did, and it was because you took the time to smile and made my day, so the least I could do is return the favor."
It felt good... and I needed that. The couple reminded me so much of my own parents when they would go out on a lunch date late in their lives. It was just something I wanted to do and share the story not to be proud, but in hopes you might do the same for someone soon.

And while you are at it, one of my blog followers could use a nice thought sent her way this holiday season. Spending your first holiday without a parent can be so difficult, and I understand it totally... so good thoughts are heading your way from me... and my fellow readers as well I hope!

I love college football, but for some reason will be happy when this season is over. It was a very tiresome season for me, but someone out there is enjoying it. Good on you!

If it's British, I seem to be obsessed with it these days.

A friend from high school popped up on my Facebook chat last night as I was finishing my hockey game play by play duties. This guy and I played hoops together back in High School and I had not heard from him since we graduated. It is amazing how some things can seem like they just happened yesterday... and there are moments when high school fits in that space.

Speaking of high school... late night talk radio is not the same without Larry King and Jim Bohannon. King's moved to tv and Jimbo is not heard in this market. I can't tell you the number of times the last voice I heard at night was one of theirs.

Satellite radio sure sounds different these days with the Sirius/XM merger. They took away my disco station, but replaced my favorite Upop station with BBC Radio One. That was a good trade. Also, First Wave is a great find. Reminds me of the Resurrection Flashback Sundays that Jim Keller used to have on 107.7 The End and my days of listening to 99X in Atlanta.

My first improv rehearsal is tomorrow night. The new group is together and it will be fun to see where it might go. More details to come.

So those are random thoughts on a Saturday morning, hopefully Whine-Free. So go pop open a cold one and enjoy your weekend. I will, as usual, be working. Oops... maybe that was whining.

Good day to you all.

Yours truly,
Johnny Blogger

1 comment:

postergrrl said...

Jon! I just have to say, though I saw it when we had improv together eons ago, you have such a great heart! Definitely inspiring to pass it forward! :)