Saturday, May 31, 2008

On the subject of Late Night

It's 1:35 in on Saturday morning, or Friday night if you prefer. I am usually working right now, but for the first time in a few months, I actually am not. 

So why am I still up? I guess that the body clock is used to such things, and mine said to stay up tonight. I went to a late night improv show - a farewell performance for one of my old teachers. He was pretty incredible.

So why am I still up? I set the goal of contributing to this blog every day, and this is my contribution to my goal. It seems silly - no one will die from me not writing. No kittens will be eaten (a note that will make one 9 year old girl very happy.)

So why am I still up? The melatonin has not kicked in yet and I am out of ambien.

So why am I still up? I drank a Coke at 10 PM. Pepsi doesn't keep me up, Coke does.

So why am I still up? The thought of doing karaoke crossed my mind and I drove by the place of my proudest moment in karaokedom - Hula Hula on Queen Anne. I didn't know anyone there, and wasn't going to meet anyone, so I just drove by for nostalgia's sake. I cranked up Rehab and sang at the top of my lungs in the car anyway.

So why am I still up? My wife ween to sleep a long time ago. She told me that her computer was not working properly so she went to sleep. She has a big project due and it stinks that it won't work. Technical support--- may I help you. I guess you can call me her own personal Geek Squad... or at least Geek. I am running a defrag on it. I pray it works so I won't feel responsible for her not being able to work, although it would be the computer's fault, not mine. It's the guilt thing you get when you wear a wedding ring - EVERYTHING is your fault.

So why am I still up? I am thinking of the days I used to be up this late every night - working in night clubs in the 80's with some incredibly nice looking people. Even on my nights off, I would get dressed up in costume and go to Confetti, a very cool night club in Dallas. All the employees had a costume of some kind so I was not out of place. Why would I go there on my nights off? Because being alone with a lot of people was better than being alone alone.

So why am I still up? Melatonin is starting to kick in. Maybe I have a better than 50/50 chance of actually getting to sleep. A little KIXI (Music of your life - or more appropriately, my Dad's life) on the radio's pillow speaker. A pillow between the knees. Turned towards my wife's deep breathing. It's a comfortable place.

Time for me not to be up. If you see another entry above this one, with a timestamp close in proximity, it means I am still up.

Good night, Mrs. Kalabash. Wherever you are.

yours truly,
Johnny Blogger


No comments: