Wednesday, May 28, 2008

On the subject of friends


Over the weekend, I began my journey into social networking with a trip into MySpace. I had no idea it could become the TakeEveryMomentofmyTimeSpace. My wife is working feverishly on her final project for school. The kids have playdates. I have the computer. 

Now I should have a real life, and go out and do something. I used to play golf, but when Dad died, it became hard to go out on the course without thinking of him.
So how about calling a friend? It was Memorial Day weekend. My writing partner was in New York. Other friends were out of town. Hey, I'll call my friend, Ken! Sorry, plans.

I guess I felt it was time to get some new friends. So I opened the computer and began writing on MySpace. First the about me... which I felt was a compelling introduction to who I am. Then, interests. Then, music. Then, start looking for friends.

It became obsession rather than just fun. How many people could I get to be my friend? On MySpace, I would start with my Improv classmates. We just finished class and we all seem to miss each other. So I reached out to a few of them, but before you can have a friend, you have to be approved.

Confirmation. That is what I was looking for. Confirmation, and I was going to get it any way I could. And then, it happened. My first friend appeared from class - comedian Randy Pop. Then my closest friend from class Amanda. 

This was good, but on MySpace, you can have celebrities be your friends as well. I started with the people I most like, musicians and comedians. Amy Winehouse wants a friend right now, wouldn't you think? Well she was my first request. (I am guessing she might have been getting into or out of trouble. Amy will be a blog subject on her own soon.) Realizing that she was my favorite artist now, I moved to my first favorite artist - Pat Benatar. And would you believe it... my first celebrity friend - my first boyhood crush and obsession - there she was Pat Benatar! Oh, and her husband was there too. Hey, it was Pat Benatar!

I may be naive (this is where you say yes, Jon, you are) but I think a couple of my celebrity friends might be from the people themselves. Some actors and comedians I think try to foster their fan base. I hope in some way when they know their fans are out there, they appreciate the connection.

The people who have responded the most has been the pro wrestling community. I used to be a pro wrestling announcer, and a lot of the people I have worked with in the past are on here. But it leads to an interesting situation. How do you explain to the wife when one of your friends is posing with a stripper pole and another is in a very sexy outfit? Missy... I have some 'splainin to do.

Yes, the Train of Thought people have it right (see their Facebook news report on YouTube - it's very funny)... you keep hitting that refresh button to wonder if you have been validated as a friend... but when you live a family life with work and responsibilities galore... it's nice to think someone wants to be your "friend."

Then, I heard Facebook was actually cooler than MySpace. Oh no, more cybercrack! Two straight days getting reattached with old friends and current acquaintances. Amazingly to me, this social networking has actually found me friends I never thought I would have.
 I was having old fraternity brothers and little sisters brought to me. I had a high school classmate who was even lost to the reunion committee, say hello to me. Then it started mushrooming.

I spent a day working through the network of people I know, who I might know, who I want to know, and oh, my business contacts. In one day I went from 0 to 22 friends. 

MySpace feels cheated on now. It's like the old girlfriend who was really good looking, but now I have a sleek simple classy mistress. Should a married guy use that term?

That has led to this. I need an outlet for my thoughts and ramblings. So here it is. Will anyone read it? Probably not. 

Will anyone comment on it? Well, they have to read it first.

So if you read this, please comment. I need the attaboy. And oh yeah, when your finished, could you become my friend on Facebook and MySpace?

yours truly,
Johnny Blogger


3 comments:

Adjil said...

Uh oh! Looks like you're caught in the MySpace-Facebook-Blogspot love triangle!

Welcome to blogworld.

Anonymous said...

I read it and now I'm commenting. But should I really be rewarding such behavior. :P

little ms. notetaker said...

Attaboy! We all have our own reasons (and most of us, love the comments so I'm happy to share the love).

To the blogosphere!