Thursday, May 29, 2008

On the subject of too much time on my hands"


Too much time on my hands, it's taking away with my sanity.
I've got too much time on my hands, it's hard to believe such a calamity.
     -Styx

I have the next three months off... anyone feel sorry for me? 

Okay, that is not entirely true, but after 40 weeks straight (including all holiday weeks,) I have been responsible in one way or another for a project - or more to the point - projects on deadline. 40 weeks of massive work, little work, too much work. So after 40 weeks, it seems like life will come to a screeching halt.

For most people, finally having time to do things is a very good thing. For me, it couldn't be farther from the truth. I am addicted to doing something.

Something can be work. Something can be getting on the computer (see last blog.) Something can be nothing at all. But as Rosanne Rosanna Danna used to say "it's always something."

Over the next 12 weeks, until my projects crank up into 60 hour weeks again, I will be searching for somethings. I plan to take some time to educate myself in some new programs for work (After Effects, Zaxwerks and 3d Arsenal.) Beyond that, I have nothing planned for 11 of the 12 weeks. 

Oh sure, there will be the occasional meetings, and a little project here and there - but nothing like life in "my busy season."

This is not a pity party. I have a wonderful wife. I have great kids. I need something for me. With that in mind, I want to start a reverse bucket list. 

What the hell is a reverse bucket list? The movie said it was a list a person made of all the things he wanted to do before he died. I am looking for someone else to make the list, so that I can get some new experiences, and I am looking for suggestions.

I am basically a television watching, computer working, couch potato who needs a push.

So here are the guidelines. 

It can't involve more than a couple of hours in travel time (gas prices and having to take care of the kids!)
It has to be able to be completed in 4-6 hours.
It needs to be something that is not illegal, immoral, or fattening.
It needs to be something I can talk about with a fond memory.

For all you guys who say "go to a strip club" or the ladies who "want me to take up knitting," those will be placed in this bin I have here marked "File 13" or as one coach would want me to mark it, "File #13."

I am blessed to have some wonderful clients who give me great work to do. However, sports (my main industry) is a fall/winter business for many of us. I knew what I signed up for when I got into the business. I just never knew how much creativity can take creativity out of you, so I am asking for a little help.

The summer will not be filled with fulfilling these list items, but I will tell you which ones I do accomplish.

I think it just an accomplishment making it to day two of a daily blog... so I guess there's hope for me yet.

yours truly,
Johnny Blogger



2 comments:

Adjil said...

Have you ever been in an orienteering race? Check out the Cascade Orienteering Club - all you need is a compass.

Anonymous said...

1. Be in the Fremont Solstice Parade! There's still time! Go the the Fremont Arts council website and look at the classes and volunteer opportunities.

2. Go to the Fun Forest. There won't be many more opportunities. Go with your kids, someone else's kids, a fun lovin' adult (don't go on your own). Maybe this is just me (I swear I rode the exact same roller coaster in Point Pleasant, NJ when I was a kid) but the low-level faded glitz of the Fun Forest is great!

3. Make some insanely complicated recipe for something you're just about willing to eat. Invite people over. If it doesn't work out, order pizza or grill hot dogs. (I have a nice recipe for goat curry, for example)

4. Go to the beach very early in the morning when the tide is low and poke around in the tide pools (remember to put the rocks back). Or go to the arboretum with a tree guide and identify trees. it's more fun than it sounds.

5. Paint. Don't let anyone see it. Even if they want to.